Friday, September 13, 2013

A Tree




I thought it appropriate to start this blog by explaining the meaning behind the name.  It comes from a passage in the Bible from Jeremiah 17:7-8.  The tree planted by the stream represented in these verses has become very symbolic for me in my life.  I adopted this passage as my life verse after an experience I had in high school where someone I knew spoke this imagry into my life.  This woman said that she saw me as someone who is like a tree, strong in my beliefs, not shaken by circumstances, and not afraid to stand alone and point to Christ.  Those are powerful words for a high schooler to hear.  Though at the time I wasn't so sure that those words were true about me, I sought to be that person: strong and unshaken, pointing to Jesus.  My perspective changed, however, when i discovered this passage in Jeremiah: 

“But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord,
    whose confidence is in him. 
They will be like a tree planted by the water
    that sends out its roots by the stream.
It does not fear when heat comes;
    its leaves are always green.
It has no worries in a year of drought
    and never fails to bear fruit.”    (Jeremiah 17:7-8)

It stood out to me that the reason the tree was strong was because of the stream.  I realized that I didn't have to be strong for God but that it was God that would make me strong if i trusted in him and allowed myself to grow more and more connected to him.  Since then, this passage has been a continual reminder thoughout many different circumsances to trust God and keep a proper perspective. 

Over time I've made several other observations about trees that can be applied to life.  Here are two of them: 
1- Trees take the heat and give shade.  The tree by the stream isn't thrown off by the weather.  Because of the strength recieved from water and their deep roots, these trees can withstand the heat and still provide shade for others.  Christ's strength enables us to not only handle the trials that come our way, but also show grace and mercy to others around us, no matter our own circumstances.  A tree not being fed by the stream has nothing to offer those around them.  Just as a dried-up plant is no good for shade, I can't help others unless I am personally spending time with the Lord, learning and growing in my own faith.  
2- Trees experience seasons.  Healthy trees still lose their leaves in the fall.  Yes, being rooted in Christ sometimes feels like you're thriving and the fruit of your faith and God's blessing is obvious.  Sometimes though, it's more like surviving the winter.  Things are just dry and lonely.  Other times, it can even be barely holding on by a single root when the storm is raging around.  The good news: as long as the tree is well rooted and continually depending on the water for strength, it will overcome and make it through any season or storm.  We don't need to panic when we don't feel like we're thriving.  It's natural to experience seasons of life.  Those winters just make the spring blossoms that much more beautiful!  If we never experienced times of spiritual dryness we wouldn't know the sweetness of those times when God's presence is evident.   

So that's the meaning behind the name and my observation for the day.  

Welcome to my blog!  I believe in people growing together and learning from each other so feel free to comment on my posts and let me know what you think!  Please note that these are simply some of my observations about life, faith, and my experiences.  The things I will be writing about here are rarely the product of extensive research or debate.  Rather, they are simply my latest musings.  This blog is a way to express some of the things that I'm learning in this quest to be a healthy person mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually, and ultimately become closer to my Savior, the spring of living water.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment